Press TV - Emirates Telecommunications Corp. (Etisalat) has reportedly won the technical license bid to be Iran's third domestic mobile phone carrier.
"The Emirates Telecommunications Corp won the third operator license tender in Iran," an unnamed source at the Iranian Telecommunications Ministry was quoted as telling Fars News Agency on Monday.
The source meanwhile underscored that the tender result needed to be approved by Iran's Minister of Communication and Information Technology, Mohammad Soleimani.
Under the license, Etisalat should issue 17 million mobile cards and provide 3G services to Irano3 subscribers within 15 years.
Iran has two main networks, the state-controlled Telecommunication Company of Iran (TCI) - which has some 28 million customers, and 65% of the market. Irancell Telecommunications Services Company (MTN Irancell), the 2nd mobile operator in Iran, has 13.1 million customers.
There are also a couple of tiny local mobile operators in Iran with negligible subscriber bases.
UAE-based telecommunications services provider (Etisalat), currently operates in 17 countries across Asia, the Middle East and Africa.
Etisalat reported net revenue of USD $5.204 billion and net profits of USD $1.989 billion on October 18, 2008.
Related News From ICTna Archive :
- Etisalat to invest USD 1 bln in Iran launch
- UAE's telecommunications sector
- Etisalat confrims highest bid for 3rd Iranian mobile licence
- A Glance through Iran's mobile market
- Reuters: Etisalat says its Iran licence bid was highest
- Press TV: Etisalat wins Iran mobile license bid?
- Etisalat wins early Christmas present in Iran
- Etisalat wins Iran’s third national mobile licence
- Iran Grants 3rd National Mobile Phone License
- Omantel Shortlisted for Iran's 3rd Mobile License Tender
- Public Invitation for Third Mobile Tender
- Iran's third operator bid
ICTna (Information and Communication Technology News Agency) English Version: http://www.ictna.ir/En/