Tehran - Information and Communication Technology News Agency (ICTna): The UAE's biggest telecommunications provider says its team will pay 300 million EUR ($402M) to acquire a mobile phone license in Iran.
Emirates Telecommunications Corp (Etisalat) said on Tuesday that it won Iran's third mobile license as part of a consortium with Iran's Taameen Telecom, which is owned by Iranian Social Security Organization.
Etisalat, which has a 49 percent stake in the consortium, said its team beat operators including Zain, Omantel, Telekom Malaysia and Bharti Airtel to win the license.
Jamal al-Jarwan, chief executive of Etisalat International Investments, said the consortium's operations would begin in nine months, adding that the group would invest at least $1 billion into building infrastructure in Iran.
He said the firm hopes to get at least one million subscribers in the first year of operations considering the potential of the Iranian cell phone market.
According to the company, Etisalat has currently more than 74 million subscribers in 17 countries across Asia, the Middle East and Africa.
Iran currently has two mobile operators, the state-owned Telecommunications Company of Iran, which has some 28 million customers, and MTN Iran Cell, a subsidiary of South Africa's MTN. Iran Cell has 14.1 million subscribers.
Related News From ICTna Archive :
- Etisalat to invest USD 1 bln in Iran launch
- UAE's telecommunications sector
- Etisalat confrims highest bid for 3rd Iranian mobile licence
- A Glance through Iran's mobile market
- Reuters: Etisalat says its Iran licence bid was highest
- Press TV: Etisalat wins Iran mobile license bid?
- Etisalat wins early Christmas present in Iran
- Etisalat wins Iran’s third national mobile licence
- Iran Grants 3rd National Mobile Phone License
- Omantel Shortlisted for Iran's 3rd Mobile License Tender
- Public Invitation for Third Mobile Tender
- Iran's third operator bid
ICTna (Information and Communication Technology News Agency) English Version: http://www.ictna.ir/En/
by: Arash Karimbeigi (Director of Information and Communication Technology News Agency)
Tehran - IR.Iran
© ICTna Exclusive, Republishing in any format requires the permission of the Editor.